Accutane Acne Treatment
Wondering whether to go on the Accutane Acne Treatment?
Acne is the occurrence of infected or inflamed sebaceous glands. This inflammatory skin condition has an effect on the tiny skin pores in the skin because it covers the back, chest, arms and face. The infection, caused by bacteria, cloggs up the hair follicles which results in pus-filled lesions on the skin.
Acne breakouts are normally characterized by blackheads, whiteheads, cysts and infected abscesses. It is a disorder predominantly common amongst teenagers, adolescents and adults alike.
Every other acne medication may have failed, with no effective results, like clear skin. Accutane might be something to consider as the very last resort.
What is Accutane?
Isotretinoin(INN) is the Generic Name for accutane. Accutane, like Roaccutane, is the Trade Name or Brand Name for isotretinoin. Roche ceased to manufacture accutane in 2008 only to have it replaced by Roaccutane.
Generic and Brand Name drugs contain the same strengh and active ingredient. They are also manufactured, not only with the same ingredient, but also with the exact same process. Nevetheless, generic drug manufactures do not invest in branding while brand name drug manufacturers would need to invest in branding and public relations (PR).
Isotretinoin is a prescription medication used for treating cystic and severe acne. It was initially developed to be used as a chemotherapy medication for treating brain cancer, pancreatic cancer and other cancers - the drug enhances the destruction of cancerous cells.
Isotretinoin is a powerful medicine derived from vitamin A that can become an alternative choice to oral antibiotics especially when it becomes non effective on severe skin breakouts.
Accutane acne treatment can be used for severe types of acne, granuloma annulare, metastatic, melanoma and acute nonlymphocytic leukemia. It is extremely powerful and an effective prescription drug that is usually used for the severest forms of skin disoders and acne. Similarly, it can be used as an alternative to other acne treatment options like antibiotics, especially if it is less effective and less responsive
How Does The Accutane Acne Treatment Work?
How does it tackle acne ?
1) It significantly decreases the size of the sebaceous glands - skin's oil glands and much more drastically cuts down the quantity of oil these glands create .
2) P. acnes, the acne bacteria resides in sebum, the skin's oil. Since this natural oil is substantially reduced, the level of acne bacteria normally found within the pores and skin consequently drops as well.
3) It also reduces how quickly the skin creates skin cells within the pore, which will help the skin pores from becoming clogged in the first place.
4) It has anti-inflammatory properties.
It usually takes a while to start producing results on average 6-8 weeks. Acne breakouts may normally get worse during the initial duration of treatment.
The accutane acne treatment can only be administered on prescription and only obtained from a board certified dermatologist or pharmacist.
In the U.S.A dermatologists and pharmacists are required by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) iPledge program to put potential users through an assessment system to determine their suitability for the drug.
This potent drug requires customised usage with the cholestrerol levels and liver organ being routinely monitored through blood testing.
Regular blood tests should be done while on the accutane course. A base line blood chemistry test should be taken before the course begins. For blood test accuracy and reliability fasting for 12 hours may be essential.
Regular monthly pregnancy tests are often taken by female acne patients on the course mainly because it could potentially cause serious birth defects.
A Typical Accutane Acne Treatment Course
2) The medication dosage ought to be customized according to the patients weight.
3) The clinical benefits can be seen in 1-3 months. The acne patient may begin to see the physical benefits of clear skin following the first 6-8 weeks, in some cases much earlier.
4) Some patients can get a bit worse in the beginning, but this can be managed by your dermatologist.
5) In many cases, the skin is significantly improved for years to come. Most accutane end users will be acne free for months, even years, soon after completing the Accutane procedure, but 10% of end users are unfortunate enough to discover their acne re-occurring within just a year following the end of the accutane course.
6) After the course is completed you should give yourself up to 6 months "rest period" during which you can observe any further changes to your skin. This allows the oil glands to return to their normal state
Even though accutane acne treatment signifies a significant advancement towards a very effective acne treatment. Careful analysis of the long term effects may cast a shadow over its acne success stories.
The effects can be very severe on the liver and the body's ability to process cholesterol.
In addition, it is best known and most dangerous for serious birth defects, physical and mental retardation.