What is Baby Acne?
The cause is not yet discovered, however, hormone imbalances that happen throughout the mother's pregnancy, especially in the remaining weeks of being pregnant and particularly prior to birth, can be a contributory factor. The hormones are passed from the mother to the baby through the placenta before its birth.
It is a rash that looks like red pimples on the baby's face. You may notice small red or white bumps on the baby's cheeks, chin or forehead . It may consist of reddish bumps, pustules or even blackheads. Parents usually notice it at about a month of the baby's birth.
Researchers continue to analyse other factors. Taking particular types of medication whilst nursing, for instance, or maybe the baby takes certain medications, could help induce the skin condition.
The skin condition cannot spread from one individual to another. It is harmless and does not require treatment like acne vulgaris or like any other severe acne. In fact, it is not a serious condition. However, with careful treatment and tender loving care it can be treated easily and effectively.
If it does not clear up within 3 months or you are concerned about it consult your baby's doctor.
If it disappears within 2 to 4 weeks it may be milia. This is also commonly associated with newborn babies but can appear on people of all ages.
What Causes Baby Acne
Prior to a new baby's birth, the mother's hormones, together with important molecules, oxygen and nutrients move through the placenta into the baby's bloodstream.
This is the reason why newborn infants have higher levels of particular hormones throughout the first 8 weeks or so. This period is required for all the molecules to break down. After which all maternal hormones should be clear.
Therefore, a skin ailment known as baby acne or infant acne , that looks like a mild case of teenage acne, may emerge. This skin ailment is temporary and will take care of itself with no special treatment. The baby will outgrow it in a few months. Patience is usually the best course of action.
It is important to realize that nothing you do is likely to cause this condition, however, there are things that can exacerbate the situation.
Baby Acne Treatment
What can you do to make your baby free of Infant acne?
* It is important to keep the area around the mouth clean and dry. Spit ups and drooling can irritate the baby's sensitive facial skin and further exacerbate the condition.
* This skin disorder can be sensitive to harsh fabrics while holding the baby. Parents should recognize that soft fabric clothing or clothing washed in natural detergents is not as harsh.
* Try not to overheat the affected area as this is often another factor that triggers the acne flare ups.
* The American Academy of Paediatrics have suggested the use of mild baby soap and water to clean the baby's face. This should be done gently and daily. Scrubbing the baby's face may result in itching and irritation. It also suggests not to use oils and lotions on the baby's face.
* Use chemical-free detergent for babies. It is made for infants and sensitive skin.
* Avoid the use of adult acne medication. It is to strong for infants.
* Use natural baby products, or light, non-scented lotions, and stay away from lotions and irritant oils for adults. It could make things worse.
* If the skin condition becomes a severe baby acne rash or persists for more than 6 months consult your paediatrician.
Baby Acne Home Remedy
- Avoid any topical lotion or cream. It may aggravate the condition especially if it is too strong for a baby's skin. All natural products for babies is more suitable for infants.
- If you most cover up the bad baby acne for a special event like family pictures, decide on a natural concealer made for sensitive skin. Nevertheless, only use sparingly so you do not aggravate the problem.
- Vinegar solution used for baby acne treatment may work in some cases. Consult your paediatrician before you decide to use vinegar.
- If you think your newborn baby might have an allergic reaction, try to be observant and on the search for any possible things that could trigger the allergies, and keep them faraway from the baby.